Pink Lady® rustic tart with pomegranate and rose flavoured whipped cream
For the pastry
- 50 g ground almonds
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 80 g demerara sugar
- 100 g softened and unsalted butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 250 g sieved flour
- Pour the sieved flour and the ground almonds into a bowl. Add the softened butter, diced, and the salt. Rub with fingertips. Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the demerara sugar and the egg. Mix until you obtain a neat ball. Flour your hands and flatten the pastry ball on the work surface before reforming a ball shape. Wrap in food wrap and put in the fridge to cool.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge and leave for 30 minutes at room temperature.
For the filling
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 Pink Lady® apples
- 30 g unsalted butter
- 1 small handful of sliced almonds
- Peel and core the Pink Lady apples. Chop into thick slices. Heat the butter and vanilla sugar in a frying pan. Fry the apple quarters until they caramelise slightly. Remove from the heat and set aside to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Role the pastry out on a pre-floured work surface and transfer to a sheet of baking paper. Arrange the caramelised apple slices, leaving 3 cm around the edges. Tuck the free edges in towards the apples.
- Brush with egg yolk and sprinkle the almonds over the edges. Bake for 40 minutes.
For the whipped cream
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
- 1 pomegranate
- 100 ml full fat cream
- 100 g icing sugar
- The seeds from a vanilla pod
- 2 dessert spoons rose water
- Pour the full fat cream (making sure it’s very cold) into a high-sided bowl and begin whisking. When the cream starts to foam add the icing sugar, vanilla seeds and rose water. Whisk again until the cream thickens and forms a stiff peak at the end of the whisk. Refrigerate.
- Cut the pomegranate remove the seeds. When the tart is cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool at room temperature.
- Just before serving, add a scoop of whipped cream and sprinkle pomegranate seeds over the top.
Find inspiration with other recipes