Pavlova with caramelised Pink Lady® apples
- Make the meringue the day before
- The same day: prepare the pavlova
- The same day: assemble the pavlova
Make the meringue the day before
- 300 g sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt. Once the egg whites start to form soft peaks, add half the sugar and continue to whisk until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Add the rest of the sugar and continue to whisk until all the sugar is incorporated and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Dissolve the cornflour in the vinegar and add to the meringue mixture, folding through gently with a spatula.
- Spread the mixture in a thick layer in a heart-shaped (or round) spring-form tin. Tap the tin gently to even out the mixture.
- Turn down the oven to 120°C and bake the meringue for 1-1 ¼ hours. The meringue should be ivory in colour, with a crisp outer shell but it will still be soft and spongy inside.
- Leave to cool completely.
The same day: prepare the pavlova
- 2 Pink Lady® apples
- 1 lemon
- 30 g butter
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 35 cl whipping cream
- 20 g light brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Melt the butter over a low heat.
- Slice 2 Pink Lady® apples finely, leaving the skin on. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from turning brown.
- Lay the apple slices on a baking sheet covered with greaseproof paper.
- Brush the apple slices with melted butter and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown, keeping an eye on them as they bake. When they are done, allow to cool.
- Begin to whip the cream.
- As you whip the cream, add the icing sugar little by little until it just holds its shape but is not too thick. Refrigerate.
The same day: assemble the pavlova
- Pink Lady® apples
- Place the meringue base on a serving plate.
- Cover the base with the whipped chantilly cream.
- Decorate the pavlova with the caramelised apples.
- You could also add edible glitter or other festive decorations and then keep the dessert refrigerated until you’re ready to serve
Pink Lady® top tip
Clever tip: For your whipped chantilly cream it is important to ensure that the cream is very well chilled when you start whipping. It is also a good idea to chill the mixing bowl and the whisk beaters in the freezer for 10 minutes before you start. ! NB: alcohol abuse is dangerous for your health.
Find inspiration with other recipes
- Main dishes